Ernst A. Illg began his career in the meat business as an apprentice in Stuttgart, Germany in 1944. Successful completion of his apprenticeship led him to become a journeyman and finally a Master Butcher. In a war torn Germany Ernst was looking for a fresh business opportunity and America became his new destination.
Ernst, along with his wife Magdalene, came to America in 1952 and settled in the Brewerytown section of Philadelphia, at 29th and Master Streets. They built a business that flourished and in 1964 the company was moved to it's present location in Bucks County, Pennsylvania. Ernst's passion for re-creating the regional flavors of Germany is evident in the variety of hand-crafted meats that are available to the consumer. Today his son and grandsons continue the tradition of quality with the same passion for excellence.